CHEESE PIES IN YOGURT PASTRY
These crescent-shaped pies are ideal for family members who are rushed in the morning. They can
grab a couple of pies and eat on the go!
2 large eggs, divided
⁄ cup extra-virgin olive oil
⁄ cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon salt
3 ⁄ cups self-rising flour, sifted
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
⁄ cup grated Graviera (or Gruyère) cheese
⁄ teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
⁄ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon cream
⁄ cup sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 egg, the oil, and yogurt. Combine the salt and flour in another bowl.
Using a wooden spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients to form dough. Transfer the
dough onto a work surface and knead it until all the flour is incorporated. The dough should be
smooth, pliable, and only slightly sticky. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine the remaining egg, the cheeses, nutmeg, pepper,
and mint. Mash and mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll it out into a long thin log. Cut the dough
into egg-size pieces (you should get twenty). Roll a dough piece into a ball and then flatten it with
the palm of your hand into a 3-inch-thin disc. Add 1 tablespoon cheese filling in the middle of the
dough. Fold half of the dough over the filling to create a crescent shape. Pinch the ends to seal the
cheese into the dough. Place the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and repeat the process with
the remaining dough and cheese filling.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and cream. Brush the top of each pie with the egg-cream
mixture. Sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds.
- Bake the pies on the middle rack for 30 minutes or until they are golden. Serve them warm or at
room temperature. You can store pies in a container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.